Sunday, June 04, 2017

2017 Fantasy Nascar Sleepers & Dark Horses (Dover)

Welcome to TimersSports


Fantasy Nascar Sleepers -

Ricky Stenhouse Jr - The Driver of the #17 car been pretty fast all weekend long and solid on the speed charts, too. He's qualified 12th and been top 15 in every practice. That is not what stands out for me though. Ricky seems happy about his car overall and that's a great sign for us fantasy nascar folks. We like hearing good things from a driver about their car. Is Ricky going to be a top 5 driver? Nope and I don't think he comes close to that. But he does have top 10 to top 15 potential this weekend. His record at Dover, also gives me confident in him as well. His last three finishes are 11th, 14th and 8th at Dover. Another thing to love about Ricky? He haven't finished outside of the top 15 since March! So good speed, momentum and track record. Want more do you want?

Jamie Mac - For whatever reason, there haven't been a lot of love for Jamie and the 1 team. Sure, he doesn't have the greatest record here at Dover. But he has been good overall and seems to be getting more consistent. Last year, he had terrible luck here. It happens, folks. There's nothing more to it, either. Sometimes you have bad luck and that end of story. This weekend, things haven't gone according to plan for him, either. He's qualified 19th, but that is the only thing that I can say negative about him. Because he was pretty happy with his car on Saturday. He made more laps than anyone else in the first practice session and seemed pleased with him. He focused on long runs in both practice sessions and looked solid. He is having his best season ever and should easily be a top 12 driver at least. Personally, I am thinking more top 10 myself!

Dark Horses -

Matt Kenseth - Kenseth should be a contender for the win on Sunday, but I don't think he is included among the favorites. Let's be real here, people know what Kenseth is capable of. But I don't think anyone believe he will actually win. Would they be shocked? Hell no. Guess what? All of that describes a very good ''dark horse'' pick. Personally, I think a lot of that has to do with that Kenseth haven't contended for wins or led many laps this season. I think that is the only reason why he is floating under the radar. That's fine by me because I thought that 20 car was pretty stout in final practice. He was very consistent and at end of final practice, Jeff Gordon was impressed by him. I was too as I watched him closely in both sessions. He was there.

Daniel Suarez - Daniel Suarez, like rest of the Gibbs cars, been pretty good since unloading at Dover. I really wasn't expecting Suarez to look quite as good as he has so far. I was expecting him to figure a little, but he has been pretty darn good overall. A lot of speed in that 19 car and he haven't made a mistake yet, either. I really thought that on Saturday it was his best day of practice so far in a cup car. Good speed and he is starting inside the top 5. I don't think he will win, but I wouldn't be shocked if he found a way to victory lane. This kid is getting better and better, he could definitely find victory lane before the season is over. He is a good dark horse pick to consider for Sunday's race!

Bust of the weekend -

Chase Elliott - There's a lot of really good cars at Dover this weekend and that may be enough for me to stay away from him. I do understand why he is a popular fantasy option in most format. He did finish 3rd in both races last year, but past success does not translate into future success. While the track record part is good, that is the only thing he has going for him right now. He haven't finished in the top 20 since April 24th at Texas. While his last top 5 finish was all the way back at Martinsville. It is time to face that Elliott is in a major slump. You know something that I have learn about drivers struggling? It is a good idea to leave them alone and wait until they start to trend in the right direction. Believe it or not, more times than not, momentum is the key to fantasy success. When a driver is rolling, he (or she) can get on quite a roll. Problem is, same can be said when a driver is struggling. We seen this sort of thing happen time and time again. On top of all of this, Elliott haven't been a standout in practice this weekend. Maybe top 10 good, but that's it. Plenty of fast cars here this weekend. I can name at least 6 of them that are better than the No.24 and that is off top of my head, too. 

Have a question or want to chat?

Email - briggs_garry48@yahoo.com

Twitter - @Garryy12