Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fantasy Nascar : Sleepers and Busts

Welcome to TimersSports

I started off my debut at Timerssports by nailing down 2 sleepers and 1 bust last week (including last week winner Carl Edwards). So my overall correctly prediction percentage is 50%. I will try to improve upon that at Kentucky. Kentucky is one of my favorite racetracks. Especially because of the worn out surface. Selecting a team this week can be difficult. Mainly in allocation leagues. Looking at past trends in 2014 could help you find an legitimate sleeper. I will load my lineup with sleepers and heavy hitter. As that combo have served me well at similar tracks in the past.

Sleeper:

Paul Menard - For 10 races (dating back to Texas) , I have raved on about the 27 team. Unfortunately most are now just starting believe what I have been saying for over 2 months. Menard have been awesome on Intermediate tracks in 2014. 4 Top 10 and 2 Top 5s (in 5 races). Including an top 5 at Michigan. The Potential of the 27 at Kentucky is high. But I expect him to overlooked once again.

Bust:

Jamie Mac - Seems like everyone is jumping on the 1 train this week. With all due respect , his finish last year was misleading. He had a car that should have finish just outside the top 10. Plus I think people are putting too much stock in his 4th place finish at a road course. He haven't shown me he can take momentum and use it to his advantage. I need to see more races like last week , before I consider him fantasy relevant.

Sleeper:

Brain Vickers - Another driver I been raving about in 2014. Its been a rocky road for Vickers lately. But that may be helpful in all honestly. I expect his overall percentage (and value) to keep going downhill as the week progresses. But he been a good option on similar type tracks. An top 15 would be doable.

Bust:

Martin Truex Jr - Truex have a solid record here. Unfortunately that the complete opposite in 2014 on similar tracks. He had a few nice runs recently though. Most noticeably at Charlotte (before having a problem late). I don't trust Truex. His bad luck been tremendously horrible in 2014. Why take a unnecessary risk?

Sleeper:

Carl Edwards - Edwards is just floating under the radar. Something I was definitely counting on. Edwards won't be impressive in practice and will likely qualify mid pack. But I am certain he will find a way to finish near the front. He have two wins this season, i think he can make it 3 on Saturday.

Bust:

Tony Stewart - Smoke definitely is an 9 start caliber driver (in Yahoo). But selecting him to your team this week just don't make sense. Especially considering his unimpressed track record. At end of the day , there probably 5-6 more worthy candidate that warns more consideration.

Garry Briggs