Saturday, November 15, 2014

Fantasy Nascar Update (HST)

Welcome to Timerssports

Well here we are the final fantasy nascar update of 2014. One of this site's most important weekly articles. Trust me I just don't slap these things together. I mean this is an all weekend project. Anyhow Homestead is a great track. The fall off isn't hard to find in the lap times during long runs. The key to this weekend race will be keeping up with the track. I personally don't think one single car will dominate. You need a fast car , but also a well handling machine. The guys who have that will be up front no doubt.

A:

1. 24-Jeff Gordon: I thought Gordon had the best car all weekend long. Gordon starts first with the best pit stall. What I love most is his long run speed. No other driver could stay with Gordon on the long in Saturday's practice really. Gordon is my pick to win.

My Overall Ranking: 1st

2. 4-Kevin Harvick: Harvick was good no doubt , but not nearly as good as Phoenix last week. Overall Kevin was stout no doubt. But I thought Gordon was just better. Especially on the long run.  Harvick definitely an top 5 guy heading in though. Thought about ranking him higher , but Harvick had have bad luck this season. Always good idea to give him a little higher ceiling.

My Overall Ranking: 3rd

3. 48-Jimmie Johnson: Last time we raced on this type track , Johnson went to victory lane. Not quite as good at Homestead. But I thought Johnson had one of the best cars by end of final practice. His strength was the long run. Watch out if there a long run at end of the race. He definitely can win.

Overall Ranking: 4th

4. 20-Matt Kenseth: MK was one of the guys I really liked last week at Phoenix. Surprise-surprise I like him this week again. Kenseth always seems to be at good Homestead. MK wasn't the fastest guy on Saturday. But he definitely was one of the most consistent ones. In my opinion MK the safe bet. Good option for folks trying to secure a fantasy championship.

My Overall Ranking: 5th

5. 88-Dale Jr: Like usual , Dale doesn't have the car to beat when initially unloading. But that savy 88 crew knows how to get him competitive by end of final practice. This week no different. I thought he was pretty close to top 5 on their final run. Pretty fast lap times all weekend though. Kept on improving was the key.

My Overall Ranking: 7th

B:

1. 22-Joey Logano: Logano doesn't have a dominate car for Sunday race. But by end of final practice , I thought Joey had a top 3 car overall. Like most weekends , Joey car got better as the weekend went on. Joey was strong on the long run. His consistent top 5s at this type tracks helped me a bit with Logano overall ranking.

Overall Ranking: 2nd

2. 11-Denny Hamlin: I don't think Hamlin gonna outrun Harvick or Logano with pure speed. But in the pits is where Hamlin will make it a level playing field. Hamlin looked solid all weekend long. Denny seems happy with his car overall on Saturday. He showed great amount of speed in every session. Just outside top 5 in my opinion.

My Overall Ranking: 6th

3. 2-Brad Keselowski: I debated weather BK or Hamlin deserved the 2nd B spot. In the end , I was more impressed with Hamlin. Make no mistake Brad K have a car capable of winning this weekend. But honestly I feel like he have a huge target on his back. One of the reasons I didn't ranked him as high. If BK keeps his nose clean , I say he an top 5 guy heading in. Nice overall speed throughout a run.

My Overall Ranking: 8th

4. 31-Ryan Newman: Newman wasn't overly impressive as I was initially expecting. But the 31 car got better as the weekend went on. By final practice , Newman looked decent enough to be an top 12 car. Honestly I don't think that will win him a championship. To me Newman overall potential finish will be the 7th - 12th place range most likely. He just doesn't have the speed (without strategy) to run top 5.

My Overall Ranking: 11th

5. Martin Truex Jr: MTjr is just flat out good at Homestead. I wouldn't be shocked to see him win in all honestly. Or least top 5. Unrealistic given the equipment he currently have. But he looked solid all weekend. He's is an top 15 option with top 10 potential upside.

My Overall Ranking: 13th

6. 1-Jamie Mac: Overall wasn't impressed with Jamie. I expected more out of him to be honest. To me , JMac just doesn't have the speed to be an top 10 threat. When JMac doesn't have top 10 potential in practice , it basically makes him worthless in value wise. There better options out there.

My Overall Ranking: 15th

7. 99-Carl Edwards: To be honest , I don't know what to expect from Edwards. His practice results suggests he's shouldn't be started. But he didn't do any long runs (yep real shocker there) , so cannot say what he actually have. Gamble with him if you must.

My Overall Ranking: 17th

C:

1. 42-Kyle Larson: Larson have been good  all weekend. He was by far top dog in this grouping tier. Despite blowing a tire in the final minutes of final practice. I thought he looked close to top 10 material overall. This worn out surface will benefit him greatly. Larson looks surfaces like this. He's an top 10 guy (or close to it) , use him if got him. At the right price in salary cap league that is.

My Overall Ranking: 10th

2. 3-Austin Dillon: I wasn't very impressed by Dillon. Even though Dillon typically does better in the race then practice. His overall speed was concerning to me. In my opinion he's probably an top 25 option with top 20 upside at best. We all know Newman getting RCR best equipment right now.

My Overall Ranking: 23rd

3. 51-Justin Alliager: Alliager wasn't terrible for level of equipment. But not anything brag about either. Alliager put down lap times just outside of the top 25 mostly. Got to believe that he will run most of the day.

My Overall Ranking: 25th

4. 10-Danica Patrick: Danica looked off overall. Not really what I want in a fantasy pick. I expect her to outperform her practice/qualifying efforts , but by how much is the question. The three options aboves would be the preferred choices.

My Overall Ranking: 26th

Well that's it for myself for the 2014 season! I truly hope my articles/posts were a big help towards your season.

Big thank to fantasy racing talk in the morning  for having me on their show every Monday.

Also big thank to ESPN radio for the mention few weeks ago. Ya'll did not have to do that. Felt famous for a few seconds.

Lastly huge thanks to Nascar Behind The Wall for all their support. I consider NBTW our closest partner.

Twitter - @JeffNathans