Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fantasy Nascar Picks (Cali)

Welcome to TimersSports

Phoenix Recap: Last week was pretty much go with guns or pay the price. If you went with big names, then you probably are skipping your way to my homestate of California. If you felt the need to go off-sequence, then you probably were punching the wall by lap 200. Plain and simple, big names finished up front (as they usual do) and everyone else is a risk/reward type deal. If you selected guys like Paul Menard, Ryan Newman or Ricky Stenhouse, then you proabbly had a bad points day. Overall a easy weekend at PIR!

Look Ahead to Cali: I love Cali, it's big, fast and wide! We will see a lot of passing this weekend overall. Don't worry about a poor qualifying position (like last week), as the top teams will all eventually find their way to the front. Especially since this track is about horsepower. So teams like HMS, Penske, SHR, JGR,etc will be popular options. Obviously you want to score many points as possible, but I do expect to see some sleepers finish fairly well. So I might take a few risks this week with some more risky options who have started off the season well.

Yahoo -

A:

Start - Jimmie Johnson (9)

Bench - Kurt Busch (9)

Reasons - I wish I had Harvick this week (I don't), so I will go with Jimmie Johnson (a 5-time winner). Johnson was happy with his car in practice and should contend for least at top 10 finish (more likely a top 5 finish). Also Kurt is going to a backup car, so my hand was forced either way.
B:

Start - Austin Dillon (8), Carl Edwards (8)

Bench - Paul Menard (9) and Ryan Newman (8)

Reason - Austin Dillon starts on the pole (have a good car too) and Edwards have looked impressive since unloading on Friday. It really hard to bench either drivers at this point. My thinking about B-list is this: You always start the fast drivers, because there always the next race. There some great shorter tracks coming up that we can start-save at. So no worries!

C:

Start - Brian Vickers (8)

Bench - Ryan Blaney (8)

Reasons - Last week, I made a mistake of benching Ty Dillon (was in the 14 car - finish top 15), so I am not doing that twice. I want to save as many Blaney and Eliotts for second half of the season. Way I see it is, if Vickers (or Dillon) looks top 20 capable, then he should be started. Vickers looks top 20 possible to me. So I will give him a start and hope for the best.


Fantasy Live - 4,48,19, 83 and 23

Sleeper - Almirola

Winner - Harvick

Twitter - @MattAleza