Saturday, April 01, 2017

2017 Fantasy Nascar Update (MVille)

Welcome to TimersSports

Fantasy Nascar Update -

1. Kyle Busch - Rowdy looks to have the car to beat in final practice. He's consistent had the best car, in my opinion. He had the best-10, best-15 and best-20 lap averages. His car was very good on the long run and I didn't really see anyone better than the #18 car. I think most of us expected this out of him honestly. He had the car to beat a few weeks ago at Phoenix, but lost after a late caution. He would had a shot to win last week, if it would had ended on a long run. Good news about Martinsville? We usually see some pretty good green-flag runs, considering we run 500 miles. You can be confident that Rowdy will be at the front, when (or before) that happens. My pick to win on Sunday is Kyle Busch!

2. Kyle Larson - It is very hard to pick against Kyle Larson right now. He's on it and doesn't seem to slowing down either. After sweeping Auto Club last weekend, he will start on the pole for Sunday's race. After qualifying was rained out on Friday's afternoon. Larson had a rocket in the first session on Saturday, while posting the best 10,15 and 20 lap averages. In final practice, he wasn't nearly as good. His lap times were definitely top 10 good, but I am not sure if they were in that top 3 though. I think Larson starting from the pole will be huge for him. As it is difficult to pass here and I do feel good about him overall. His record history worries me, but remember that Larson ran very well here last spring as well. I think with all of the momentum and him starting on the pole, it is hard to think that he's finishes outside of the top 5 in Sunday's race. I expect Larson to keep up the strong start to the season with another top 5 finish!

3. Brad Keselowski - Keselowski had a pretty fast car on Saturday and looked top 5 good, in my opinion overall. The No.2 car was at top of the speed charts in final practice and seemed pretty happy with his car. Keselowski has had success here before and seems ready to do so again. He's also has 4 straight top 4 finishes this season, as well. If you take out the Daytona race, he haven't had a race yet. I am not sure what else to say really about Keselowski. He's the ideal fantasy pick this weekend. Starting up front, solid momentum, good speed, etc. That's damn good, folks. If he is available to you, then I would definitely consider using him.

4. Joey Logano - Logano has a top 5 car for Sunday's race. He was very strong on the long runs in final practice. He was the only driver to be in top 2 in best-15,20 and 30 lap averages in final practice. He's clearly has a great long run car with a lot of speed in it. I thought he was 2nd-best in terms of long-run speed. Logano has a great history here at Martinsville and seems primed to run very well again. I honestly cannot find a reason not to trust him, especially since he is starting from inside the top 5, too.

5. Martin Truex Jr - Truex Jr is a very underrated guy at Martinsville and has flown under the radar this week, for the most part. I figured he would for the most part, as he isn't the first driver that we think of at this place. However, he has finished 3 of the past 4 races inside the top 7. In last fall's event, he's led nearly 150 laps from the pole. For this weekend's race, he will start from the 3rd starting position. I cannot say that he is stout this weekend at all. He looked a bit off on the lap average charts, honestly. But that's Martin Truex Jr though at Martinsville. He's never comes out with a super bad-fast car. But I am sure he will be in good shape and contend for at least a top 10 finish. With his hot start to the season, I think it is very reasonable to think that he will be a top 5 player before it is all over.

6. Denny Hamlin - Hamlin is a great driver here at Martinsville and usually does pretty well for himself here. However, I haven't seen that consistent speed from him this season to say that he is that legit. Also, I don't think that he has a dominating car for that matter. I think he will have potential to run inside the top 5 for the race. Problem is for Hamlin to have any true fantasy value at this point in the season, he will have go out and lead some laps. He won't. So I won't likely use him this weekend. What should you expect out him in the race? Realistically, he's a top 10 driver with more than enough upside to potentially have a top 5 race. With his record, you always have to keep that in back of your mind.

7. Jimmie Johnson - It's hard to say that Johnson won't be a factor at Martinsville, but let's be realistic here for a few seconds. Johnson isn't the same dominating force that he once was here. A lot of that has to do with the competition has caught up with him and passed him. People say that past history is a big factor when predicting success. And that's true, but I don't think it holds true with Johnson though. He's won here in last fall, but I wouldn't put too much into that though. Johnson is a great driver at Martinsville, but to me, he is only a top 10 driver. That what all of the signs are pointing to this weekend, especially with starting around 20th place, too.

8. JMac -  JMac is having a great start to the season and it is getting harder to ignore,too. Not only is he having a strong start to the season, but he has looked great this weekend. He was ranked inside the top 4 in best 10,15,20 and 30 lap averages in final practice. More noticeable, his lap times were better than teammate's Kyle Larson. It shouldn't come a shock that JMac is looking pretty good at one of his best tracks on the schedule. JMac will start from the 6th position and I think he has what it takes to finish inside the top 10 on Sunday!

9. Matt Kenseth - Kenseth will start deep in the field for Sunday's race, a driver that has had a lot of bad luck this season. Right now, Kenseth is currently wrecking out in 60% of his races in 2017. Yes, that's a scary rate, folks. Even though, we are only 5 races into the season. I think the 20 team will figure it out, just like they did in 2016. Kenseth had shitty luck for the first 10 races before winning at Dover. I believe we will see a similar faith for him in 2017. He's a stud here at Martinsville. Great numbers overall since joining JGR. However, I do have some concerns about Kenseth though. He did not make any long runs in final practice, I don't believe he even made a 10-lap run, either. Usually when you make a lot of short runs like that, it is a cause for some concern. He will be top 10 good, I am sure, but you better be ready to possible see him slip into the teen-range, too.

10. Ryan Newman - Newman is an interesting play this week. He has a great record here, but he haven't gotten any finishes this season (outside of win) better than 15th place. Newman does have a pretty standout car on the long runs in final practice though. He was ranked inside the top 5 in the 15 and 20 lap averages in final practice. The number says he get more speed as the run went on. He completed about a 25 lap run in final practice and looking to get better as the run went on. Never a bad sign, when trying to make a fantasy pick. Few weeks ago at Phoenix, Newman ran top 10 for most of the race, in case you were wondering. Newman won't win your league for you, but could easily be a difference maker for you though.

11. Chase Elliott - I think this will be one of the tracks that I would want to avoid Elliott on. I think Chase is a great driver and will have many top 5 finishes on the season. However, I don't consider Martinsville as one of them. I specifically noted that Martinsville was one of the worst track in my off-season content. And it is clear that the 24 car is good, but not great this weekend. I don't think it will prevent him running and possibly finishing inside the top 10 on Sunday. But I do believe that Elliott still has some work to do at Martinsville. He isn't a driver that I would go over the moon for. Realistically, you can expect a finish in the back-half of the top 10 or possibly high-teen like result. I am personally gonna stay away from him this weekend.

12. Ryan Blaney -  Blaney is off to a great start to his 2nd season in the Cup series. He's yet to visit victory lane, but I think it is closer than I originally figured before the season started. The No.21 team has made gains, no doubt. Blaney has looked great this weekend at Martinsville. Blaney looked like a threat in final practice. He was ranked in the top 7 on all of hte lap averages charts and seemed happy with his car, too. Blaney knows how to get around this place, that is not what is being question. Can the 21 team not shoot themselves in the foot is. If they can go mistake-free, then I think the 21 car has a shot of being a top 10 car, if not better. For now, I am lowering the ceiling for him.

Noticeable drivers

13. Clint Bowyer
14. Kurt Busch
15. Austin Dillon 

Twitter - @JeffNathans18