Saturday, September 26, 2015

Fantasy Nascar Update (New Hampshire)

Welcome to TimersSports

We are headed to New Hampshire this weekend! One of my favorite racetracks on the schedule. It usually isn't a exciting race by any means, but it creates a lot of unknowns. Especially since pit (and fuel) strategies are usually heavily factored in! It's really anyone game for the taking. Also remember this is only a 300-mile race which is one of the shortest races of the season. So getting a lap down is pretty much a death sentence to most drivers. After you get a lap down, then you will probably spend most of the day trying to play catch up. Even though that not always the case. So how does the field stack up? The answers you seek awaits you below!


****My Overall Rankings are not just based on how I feel drivers will finish in the race. I also have factored in several factors such as track history, momentum, track-type performance, qualifying and practice results,etc.

1. Kevin Harvick - I considered dropping KH a spot or two in the rankings after his recent finishes, but Harvick will start from 2nd and looked tough to beat! He wasn't dominant in practice, but he was in my opinion one of the drivers to beat! A few drivers challenged him speed wise, but nobody really could overpower him though. When it comes down to it, I think he will be a top 3 driver with winning potential! I think he will be motivated to win as I would expect the 4 team to be little bitter. You cannot make a mockery out of the champ and expect to get away with it, can you? I wouldn't think so.

My Overall Ranking: 1st

2. Brad Keselowski - BK looks to have a very fast car this weekend! He was fast on Friday and qualified 4th. He followed that up with strong practice results on Saturday. I thought he was right with Harvick and co. Not sure if he was quite as good. However he may have the car to beat on the long run though. Or least close to it. One of the things I really like about the Brad is that he have a solid track record. How good? 8 straight Top 11 finishes at this racetrack. Speaks volumes about how much he likes this place. He showed similar winning potential last weekend at Chicago, but quickly faded to a top 10 driver at start of the race.  That's my lone concern! This season, Keselowski cannot seems to finish in the top 5 on a consistent  basis. He is almost always a top 10 driver but cannot take the next step though. Just look over the past 9 Cup races: 9 starts, 9 Top 10s and 3 Top 5s. In fact, he only have 6 top 5 finishes for the entire season! However over his previous 9 starts, all his of his top 5 finishes have resulted in 2nd place. Including a 2nd-place run at New Hampshire in July. Might be a connection there!

My Overall Ranking: 2nd

3. Joey Logano - Logano is pretty much the most consistent driver in the series (in my opinion) and looks to be a top 5 contender once again. He doesn't get enough credit as one of the best drivers in Cup. Over his past 14 starts, he have finished 4th or better in 10 of those 14 races. Do anyone realize how impressive that is? In the past 14 races, Logano have more top 5 than 10 of the other 15 chase drivers have for the entire season! Admit it! I just blew your freaking mind, didn't I? He was fast in both practice on Saturday and will start off from 9th on Sunday. He have a top 10 car and more likely finish inside the top 5!

My Overall Ranking: 3rd

4. Jimmie Johnson - I wanted to rank Johnson a spot higher, but he haven't had that one impressive race in awhile, so I decided to leave him at number 4 instead. Mark my words, he will have a fast car for Sunday's race. He unloaded pretty quick and carried it over to qualifying on Friday. He went out qualified 5th for the race. Followed that up with a pair of strong practices. I wouldn't call them standout practices, but the garage is very aware that the 48 car have plenty of speed though. I wouldn't be shocked to see him return to victory lane to be honest. However I am not sure if he will. Any questions about HMS lacking speed have been answered over the past two weekends.

My Overall Ranking: 5th

5. Kyle Busch - All the JGR cars were fast in practice, but collectively they didn't qualify as I wanted them to. JGR aren't quite as strong as they once were, but I don't think they have lost ground to the competition. Even though I do believe the resurgence of Hendrick Motorsports since the chase started have effected JGR's fantasy value. We saw last weekend that they weren't as strong, but still manage to put 3 of their 4 cars in the top 5.I am not worried at all, as all four JGR cars showed plenty of speed. Especially long run speed in final practice. I decide to go with Kyle in the final spot for this group tier because of his track record. Over the past 5 races, he have finished either 1st, 2nd or 8th. 4 of those 5 have ended inside the top 2 for those that were wondering. Kyle should be able to drive through the field on Sunday without much problems as he seems to have plenty of speed in practice.

My Overall Ranking: 6th

Other options - Denny Hamlin (7th), Matt Kenseth (9th), Dale Jr (10th), Jeff Gordon(11th), and  Ryan Newman (13th)

B:

1. Carl Edwards - Edwards looked to be the car to beat out of the JGR camp this weekend so far. He starting on the pole and looks to have solid speed. He haven't blown me away, but hard to ignore that he is probably a top 5 fantasy option headed into Sunday's race. He have enjoyed a nice stench of success since Kentucky race where it seems this 19 team turned the corner at. I really do believe that Edwards will have a opportunity to finish inside the top 5, but he isn't a lock though. Seems like it takes awhile for Edwards to get up to speed in practice. He should be considered the best driver in this tier this weekend and probably will lead laps early on in the race.

My Overall Ranking: 4th

2. Kurt Busch - Busch will be rolling off from 3rd! He wasn't quite as good as teammate Harvick, but he will be a contender for least a top 10 finish on Sunday. However I don't think he will stay up in the top 5, but I guess it wouldn't be too shocking either though. He showed speed in both practices on Saturday and looked just outside of the top 5 speed wise. If the 41 team can make a few successful adjustments, then I think they are there racing for the win. Looking at his track record, he doesn't appeal to me as historical great driver to me. More of a hit and miss type guy! Still think he is least a top 10 driver headed into Sunday's race!

My Overall Ranking: 8th

3. Kyle Larson - I considered Truex for this spot, but man I not really feeling him (as much as Larson.) I really like Larson this weekend as a fantasy pick. He unloaded fast in Friday's practice and qualified 6th. He came back on Saturday and showed decent speed in both practices. I doubt he finishes in the top 5, but I think he will hang around 7th-12th most of the day when the checkers waves. Pretty much like last weekend at Chicagoland. What makes me like Larson really is his consistency since finishing 31st at New Hampshire. He will be motivated to finish better the second time around and I think he finishes inside the top 15. With top 10 upside as well.

My Overall Ranking: 12th


4. Martin Truex Jr - Truex will roll off from 21st starting position! I will be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with Truex. He wasn't terrible, but he didn't blow me away like he did at Chicagoland. Even though he seems fairly happy with his car. He should be a top 15 driver, but anything beyond that is questionable. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he will be a decent fantasy option. But I might consider saving him for another day, especially if your league don't reward place differential. I have him across the line just inside the top 15.

My Overall Ranking: 14th

5. Kasey Kahne - Kahne will start from the 12th starting position. He have shown signs of life this weekend, but that not saying much considering he was on his death bed before the chase started. Nevertheless, he is probably capable of finishing inside the top 15 though. I don't really love Kahne because he have burned me so many times, however I don't hate him. Especially because HMS seems to have more speed the past few weeks. I am not saying he will finish well, but there are worse choices out there. I have him across the line in 15th. So I would expect him to finish within 1-2 spot of that position. So high as 13th or low as 17th is my finish projection for him!

My Overall Ranking: 15th

Other Options - Austin Dillon (16th), Aric Almiorla (17th), Jamie McMurray (18th), and Paul Menard (19th)

C:

1. David Ragan - Ragan is the best driver in this grouping tier and it probably isn't all too close. This season, he been at his best on the short-flat racetracks. He been a consistent top 20 finisher and that exactly what I expect him to be once again. He qualified 18th and showed speed inside (or around) the top 20. I don't think he will finish inside the top 15 like he did last weekend, but I expect him to finisher just outside of that mark. I really like him in Yahoo Fantasy Racing! I have him across the line in 20th, but I could see him finishing within 2-3 position of that mark!

My Overall Ranking: 20th

2. Danica Patrick - Patrick will roll off from 22nd on Sunday afternoon. She practiced in the 20s for most of the weekend and I would expect her to finish there as well. Danica typically run where she qualifies on most weekends. So we can expect a finish somewhere inside the top 25. Not much else to say about Danica really. I have her across the line in the 24th position, but I could see her finishing closer to 20th though.

My Overall Ranking: 24th

3. Justin Allgaier - Allgaier haven't impressed me very much on Friday or Saturday, but he seems to run better than he practices though. He will roll off from 24th and should be able to finish somewhere around there. He will probably fade to outside of the top 25 at some point in the race, but that not much concern. He normally runs anywhere from 24th-30th most races. I expect him to finish somewhere in that area on Sunday!

My Overall Ranking: 26th

Twitter - @JeffNathans