Friday, September 11, 2015

Fantasy Nascar Update (Richmond)

Welcome to TimersSports

We are headed to Richmond this weekend for the final race of the regular season! There are five chase spots up for grabs, so who will take these spots when the checkers wave on Saturday night? I don't know, but I am very much looking forward to it. From fantasy pointview, it will be very tough to make your fantasy lineups. There will be many things to consider. Not only does qualifying and practice matters, but who racing for what also will matter. Certain drivers will have more to race for more than others will. So keep that in mind when selecting your lineups.

Let get started!

1. Kevin Harvick - Harvick didn't stand out in either practices, but he was still pretty fast overall. Like last weekend at Darlington, I don't think he will dominate. However it hard to ignore that the 4 car will be a top 5 all race long when the green flag waves! Earlier this season, he was very strong here and probably had a top 3 car all race long. I would be shocked to see him finishing worse outside of the top 5 on Saturday night. Harvick have been conisstency one of the best drivers in the series this season and should be locked as a top play in every format!

My Overall Ranking: 1st

2. Joey Logano - Logano usually doesn't post the fastest lap in practice, but it doesn't matter though. He will go out and have a top 5 run in the race itself! He been a strong performer at Richmond and should be considered one of the best fantasy options this weekend. He was fast in both practice sessions and starts from the pole. At worst, he will finish in the middle of the top 10. I like him a lot overall considering he haven't finished outside of the top 5 since Michigan.Overall he been one of the most consistent drivers in the series. Over the past 12 races, he have finished 7th or better in 10 of 12 races. Including 9 Top 5 finishes! Would you bet against those odds? I wouldn't!

My Overall Ranking: 2nd

3.  Kyle Busch - Rowdy will likely be a heavy contender on Saturday night! He have scored 4 wins in 7 races from 2009-2012. That was one of the most impressive runs I have seen at this racetrack in quite a long time. He could grab number five on Saturday night. Kyle was pretty good in both practices and probably have enough speed to run with the leaders. I don't get the feeling we will see the 18 lead a lot of laps like he have in the past, but he is a pretty safe fantasy play though. Busch is now locked into the chase and he may go all out. If Kyle win on Saturday, then he will enter the chase with the most wins this season! Can he do it? I don't know, but I wouldn't go against him though.

My Overall Ranking: 3rd

4.  Matt Kenseth - Kenseth have disappeared off of everyone radars after back-to-back somewhat poor finishes. After win 2 of 3 races (Pocono and Michigan), he blew up at Bristol and had a long night at Darlington after smashing the wall. However I think he will get back on track at Richmond He will start from 2nd and should have top 5 potential. Over the past 6 races at Richmond, he have finished 7th or better in 5 of 6 races. His only bad result was last season where he finished 41st. I think Kenseth will hung around 5th or 6th most of the night overall and probably finish around there.  Personally I have him across the line in 6th, but I think he will finish within 2-3 position of that mark. So somewhere from 4th-8th probably.

My Overall Ranking: 4th

5. Brad Keselowski - Keselowski made a strong case for the spots above, but I decided against it! I personally think Keselowski isn't quite as good with this package. Especially judging by the results this season with this package. He usually have top 5 potential, but doesn't always deliver the product.That been my concern with him this season. However his performance of late been improving which leads me to believe he will be a contender at Richmond. He usually show up with a fast car and based on practice that exactly what he have this weekend! I think he will hung in the top 5 most of the night and finish around there too!

My Overall Ranking: 6th

Other Options - Jimmie Johnson  (7th), Denny Hamlin (10th), Dale Jr (11th), Jeff Gordon (12th) and Ryan Newman (14th)

B:

1. Kurt Busch - I personally don't think Busch will be quite as good as he was back in April, but I wasn't expecting him to dominate that race either. So I guess anything possible. He was fast in both practice and probably close to top 5 speeds. On top of that, he have a good track record here at Richmond recently. Aside from winning this race back in the spring, he have finished 3 of the previous 4 races inside the top 10. Including a 7th-place run in this event last season! While I logic would expect a strong run from Busch, however looking at his recent results he been little consistent over his past 5 races. Will that trend continue or will he score another top 5 finish? I don't know, but I think could definitely could!

My Overall Ranking: 5th

2. Carl Edwards - Edwards and JGR don't look quite as strong as they have been in the past, but I am still willing to roll with them though. Edwards looked pretty good in both practices I would say. He wasn't the fastest car on Friday, but still easily a top 10 driver headed into the race. I wouldn't use my last start with him here in Yahoo Fantasy Racing though. Since I would rather use him at some of the 1.5 mile intermedate racetracks comng up in the chase. Overall he should be a solid pick for any lineup! I have him across the line at 8th.

My Overall Ranking: 8th

3. Martin Truex Jr - There isn't a lot to talk about Truex Jr. He shows speed every week, but haven't gotten the results. Okay that isn't fair since he did finish 9th last week at Darlington, but he should have finished around 4th or 5th. However he faded through the running order late in the race. This week he once again have a fast car, so let see if he can back it up in the race! I have no doubt that he can back up the speed, but my primary concern is getting the right finish. I think he could finish in the 8th-12th place range realistically based on what I know about Truex already!

My Overall Ranking: 11th

4. Kyle Larson - I this season I have had conflicted feeling towards Larson. On one hand, I want to believe he can backup his speed from practice. On the other hand, I know fully that he is probably just messing with me. Since he been doing that all season long. I like Larson at Richmond as I did last week at Darlington. He finished 10th there. Larson been pretty consistent lately which is one of the reasons I like him this week. Since Indy (past 5 races), he have finished 9th-13th in 4 of those races. That right there shows he been more consistent than he was earlier in the season. Add in he showed some speed in practice, I am willing to take a gamble on Larson!

My Overall Ranking: 13th

5. Kasey Kahne - I don't trust Kasey Kahne nor do I think he will make the chase without someone in front of him having a bad day. While I agree, he will try harder than usual to win on Saturday. However Hendrick just haven't had the speed to run up front. Sure he could gamble and try to win, but I am sure everyone minus a few drivers will be trying to find ways to wins. So I am not buying that he more extra motivation to win. Even though I think he is probably a top 15 fantasy option headed into the race.

My Overall Ranking: 15th

Other Options - JMac (16th),  Clint Bowyer (17th), AJ Dinger (18th), Paul Menard (19th) and Greg Biffle (20th)

C:

1. David Ragan - Ragan showed speed in both practices, but he have done that a lot lately. I am kinda wonder when he will get that stand-out finish at MWR. Sure he had a few good runs since being put in the 55 car, but he haven't got that real good finish to set him apart from the rest. This week he should have potential to finish in the upper teens or lower twenties probably. I have him just outside of 20th. But I could see him finishing closer to the top 15, if the race fall right for him.

My Overall Ranking: 21st

2. Justin Allgaier - Allgaier is a very underrated driver at short track (1-mile or less in length), as he have proved so far in his Cup career. He was decent all day on Friday and should be able to finish inside the top 25 when it all said and done. In practice 1, he had the best 10-lap average for the session and was the 22nd-fastest driver on the speed charts. He followed that up with posting the 18th-fastest lap in final practice. I would expect a finish near 20th or so when the checkers wave.

My Overall Ranking: 22rd

3. Danica Patrick - Patrick isn't a driver that I like very much this weekend at Richmond. Up until she qualified in upper teens! While I think Danica will be able to keep her car in one piece (hopefully), I don't think she will finish on the lead lap. Considering she have never finished on the lead lap in her 5 career starts. Will that change this week? I don't know to be honest. It could, but I hate going against history though.

My Overall Ranking: 24th

Twitter - @JeffNathans