Thursday, May 05, 2016

Fantasy Nascar Sleepers (Kansas)

Welcome to TimersSports

I'll keep my personal opinions about Talladega and plate racing to myself, but I'll say that I extremely glad that Talladega is finally over! I would imagine that a lot of people had terrible scores at Talladega (I know I did), and this is where the sleeper aspect of the game becomes most important. Anytime you come off a bad week in your fantasy league, you want to have a strong rebound race. Kansas isn't the best place to unload sleepers and expect a lot of top 10 potential, and big reason is because the top drivers usually find their way to the front here. I think most of this weekend sleepers will have more top 15 potential. But there are a couple driver who is on that borderline top 10 headed into practice in my opinion. Below I have listed my top 3 sleepers for this weekend's race. Enjoy!

Sleepers -

Austin Dillon - Earlier in the season, I thought he was on the verge of wearing out his ''sleeper status'' tag. However in recent weeks, his finishes have bought him back down to earth. Which have effected his fantasy value overall. People are backing away from him with only one top 15 finish over his past 5 Sprint Cup races. That's very understandable. But in my opinion, it's very unwise. Especially since this is a intermediate racetrack. Dillon have had poor finishes on the intermediate track during this rough stench of races. With finishes of 19th and 20th at Cali and Texas. He was a top 10 driver in both events. At Cali, the pit gun broke so they didn't get all of the lugnuts tighten on final pit stop. And at Texas, he was involved in that big wreck towards the end. He was a legit top 10 driver for that event, but his damage had a huge impact on the performance of his racecar in the final laps. There a couple other reasons to like Dillon, as well. Firstly, he was running about 5th place last season in October before he smashed the wall. He was a legit contender, too. Dillon was able to easily charge through the field and contend up towards the event. The second thing I really like about Dillon? Las Vegas. Vegas is Kansas's most similar racetrack and he won the pole for that race and finished 5th place. He was around top 10 to top 12 strong at Texas for much of that event. Why is that important? Texas is the only night race this season and it is also an 1.5 mile intermediate racetrack.There's a lot to love about Dillon and I don't most people realize what an awesome value, he is going to be!

Ricky Stenhouse Jr - Stenhouse have started the season out very well and I expect him to show up on Saturday night with a fast car. Ricky seems to like this racetrack a lot. In his debut in 2013, he led 26 laps on his way to an 11th place finish. Which remains his best performance to date. Obviously he haven't had a performance like that since, but that more to do with RFR's lack of speed though. And honestly I feel like fantasy players in general are using that data to judge Ricky's potential for this weekend. When dealing with any RFR driver, I would rather use current season's data than past season data. Stenhouse have been very good this season on the intermediate tracks. He have posted 12.7 average finish, 8.7 average starting position, 12.3 average running position and 86.3 driver rating. He finished 12th in the Vegas race with 17.0 average running positon. At the most recent 1.5 mile racetrack (Texas), he was top 10 strong most of that race. He eventually finished 16th after being caught up in Austin Dillon's failed pit strategy-wreck.  I feel like in general, most people will be sleeping on Ricky Stenhouse Jr at Kansas. Time to pounce on that sweet sweet fantasy value! Delicious, isn't it?

Kasey Kahne - I searched and searched for a deeper fantasy sleeper, but I honestly came up with nothing. Least nothing that I really liked! Kahne really isn't a sleeper, because we all know his potential. But he also is known for his inconsistency. So I guess he could be view as a more well-known sleeper, with people steering away from him because of the uncertainty. I like Kahne a lot at Kansas, and it have nothing to do with his track record. His numbers here are pretty solid overall. Kahne have 7 top 15 finishes over his past 9 races. With 6 of 7 ending inside the top 10. That's something I definitely can get behind. Kahne also have top 5 finishes in 2 of the past 3 spring races here. While that is all great and stuff, but I don't love him for his past track record. I think past history is irrelevant for Kahne. He have proven that over and over. I love Kahne this week because of the speed, he and the 5 team have shown in recent weeks. Ever since Texas, it seems the 5 car have found that extra speed they were missing earlier in the season. Have the results always been there? Nope. But I have liked what I saw!

Have a question?

Email - briggs_garry48@yahoo.com

Twitter - @Garryy12

Thanks for reading,

Garry Briggs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment